Friday, May 14, 2010

5. The Yogurt Test

Talking to your close friends about what you want in your partner is very important. Not so that one of them can become your partner (although that would be awesome, no?) but because it allows you to discover things about yourself, and change your expectations accordingly.

Until very recently, I used to think the deal breaker in a dude for me would be his inability to cook. Say what you may, but there is something about a man who can cook. Put an apron on those hips, boys, and they will instantly camouflage that beer gut and those love handles. Forget those free weights and learn to flip a pancake instead. I'm not saying it will get you everywhere, but it ups your hotness quotient very much. Mince a garlic pod while whistling an IR paatu, or saute an onion while strumming an air guitar to a rock song in between; and I will not care that you are a poor grad student with no money. That's not to say that any dude who can cook is immediately mate material, but if you can't it definitely gets you off the list.

Recently though, very recently, this was challenged. Not by any one dude in particular, but conversations with a friend gradually caused me to arrive there. And we weren't even talking about boys. We were talking about how the yogurt became runny once you dip a spoon into it. That immediately set me off into how the protein structure collapses once you cut into it, allowing the whey to ooze out. And me, being me, did not stop there. I continued on to the science behind how yogurt sets, how the various protein and fat concentrations and ratios affect how thick it is and how the temperature affects the process. I was in the process of elucidating why yogurt can never accurately represent the tang of true buttermilk, when said friend got up and walked away. Simply got up, and walked away.

Now, don't read too much into it, me and this person are still great friends, just that we never talk about yogurt (or anything that can set me off on a nerd ramble) much. It does not matter. We need not have those conversations. Our relationship does not demand it. But a dude I want as a boyfriend, a lover, a spouse needs to be able to do this. I mean, I understand that the vodka distillation process doesn't make for good pillow talk, but if you can't keep up with me on that, there will be no pillow talk to get to.

So keep this in mind, boys who are trying to woo me - yes all none of you - you will have to pass the yogurt test. Start studying.

2 comments:

Soin said...

no offense..indha madiri ponnungalam yenoda collegela padichindha...cha.please dont tell me you are an engg.free

Panjamirtham said...

neenga compliment panrigla, thitringala ne therila!